I made this way back in October, when I began my bra making odyssey.
The recent acquisition of a dress form helped make it much easier to take photos & get all the detail shots I wanted.
As I was mentally composing a blog post concerning my new dress form, the name Esmerelda popped into my head. So, my lovely teal lady, I dub thee Esmerelda. She has quite a different bust from mine, so this Bralette does look a tad different on me.
The construction is very simple. I cut out two pattern pieces in bra foam for each cup & sewed them up the middle. Then, I wrapped some lace elastic around my rib cage & sewed the ends together. After pin fitting the cups to the band I sewed those. together. Finally, I cut my remaining piece of elastic in two & pin fit that to the band & cups. In order to get the sides of the cups to stay secure, I attached the straps along the sides of the cups & anchored them into the front of the band. Because there are no closures, this pulls on & off over my head.
The main difficulty was in sewing the foam cups together. Pretty much any sewing would cause the foam to s-t-r-e-t-c-h. I had wanted to finish the tops of the cups with a zig zag stitch, but that ruffled them out much too much. Ship, snip, snip. So, they're much lower than I had originally planned. I was also afraid my serger would stretch them out too much if I attempted a narrow rolled hem. Now I have cups that clearly look unfinished, but I'm ok with it because I think of this bralette as a muslin. Anyway, it's not like masses of people will be seeing this thing in person.
As for wearability, this gives absolutely no support. To be honest, while I love how bras look, when I get home I rip mine off. Most make my back hurt. I really was hoping to make something that would give just a touch of support without straining my back for traipsing around the house. Bit of a failure, but a good first start I think. Besides, it's pretty…