Short projects are so satisfying. In well under an hour had I finished my first pair. Then I had to run to the fabric store & buy more stretch lace so I could make an entire army of Rosy Ladyshorts. I’ve paused at two though because I’m waiting on using up more of my knits stash so I can make my boyshorts from the remnants.
The pattern itself is easy to follow & there’s a tutorial on her blog. The only problem came at the back seam, where the two edges curved up as they met. This was easy to remedy with a quick swish of the rotary.
The two I’ve made are very different from each other. The first pair, my gray gals, were made with a cotton/Lycra blend. It’s about a medium weight knit & was wonderfully easy to sew. But they also don’t (un)stretch back as much as the second pair, so they look bigger. While they are comfortable, these puppies aren’t quite as comfy as my second pair.
Speaking of that second pair, they were made with Robert Kaufmann’s Panda Jersey, a (funnily enough non-bamboo) rayon that’s lightweight, feels amazing & is oh so soft. Really. I love this fabric. If you see some, get it. These panties bounce back a bit more so look smaller than the gray ones, but I assure you I cut the same size. And the pettably soft fabric makes them wonderful to wear.
When worn under tights &/or jeans, the brown pair were equally confortable. I barely felt them & didn’t have to make awkward adjustments like I had to do for the gray ones when worn under jeans. But, when worn under tights the gray ones didn’t give me that same constant wedgie.
You’ll also note that the fit is better with the brown ones. Those little horizontal lines on the front were there when I tried on the panties before attaching the lace, but they disappeared once I attached the elastic to the legs. They just won’t go away on the gray ones, but I’m fine with it. Only my sewing friends will notice anyway.
The gray pair is also a bit taller because I placed the lace on the edge of the fabric, whereas on the brown pair much of the lace was backed by the fabric. It’s more stable & better for wearing to place the elastic lower. Without the extra backing the edges of the gray elastic tend to flip under a little. Plus the higher lace is just a little too high for my low rise jeans. But, both pairs are blissfully crack-free (unlike most RTW boyshorts).
I only wish the different sizes were marked in different dashed lines instead of all solid lines. While it wasn’t a big deal, assembling & cutting out the fabric would have gone more quickly. Having the elastic chart on the instruction sheet instead of on the pattern pages would be more convenient too so you don’t have to refer to a loose scrap of paper to figure out how much elastic you need.
On that note, I didn’t use as much elastic as the pattern called for. I had only purchased two yards of elastic for each pair & so was a few inches short. For the legs I used the amount of elastic called for, but was a few inches short in the waist. As you can see they fit just fine (no digging in) & don’t feel in the least uncomfortable. So if you’re a little short, don’t fret.
Now go whip yourself up some Ladyshorts! It’s kind of an instant gratification pattern & I think you’ll really enjoy them. The only problem is that you might develop a Ladyshort addiction & soon have an overflowing underwear drawer.